Monday, April 18, 2011

Dear Przemek....

OK here goes my dear Przemek (Liz and Sylwia)letter...

Dear Przemek,

I have to confess that the past month has been undoubtedly the worst walking month that Josie has had in the 3 years she has been with you. My excuses are miles long, some legitimate like practically a month long of migraines where it was all I could do to get her to school and pick her up on the good days. Burn out after the fashion show was more than I thought we would encounter. And Hawaii...well, it just didn't get done. Great Grandma hurt her knee there so at least Rita got used by someone.

With that being said and the guilt a mile long, I knew after dinner tonight that I needed desperately to get her on her canes even for a short 15 foot walk. I knew she would be all over the place and I was prepared to begin the hard work up like never before. I have had her in the stander a lot in hopes that would give her passive muscle strengthening of some sort over the past month.

I set up the canes, expecting a huge argument and trying to wheel and deal her way out of it, instead she grabbed her canes and RAN, yes RAN, down the hallway. I didn't touch her once. There wasn't a wobble to be seen. I could have left the room and she would have been steady Eddy. There weren't even corrections to be made. We were both giddy with laughter. It was one of the first times I actually saw her enjoy her canes. She walked down the hall and went to get the towel out of the closet that cousin Jeanie made for her in Michigan. She balanced while she got the matching wash cloth out. She walked from there into her room and went over to the bed to check something out that was sitting there. Over to her dresser from there. When we got to the bump between rooms, I went to help her over it and she pushed me away saying that she could handle it and she did. On into my room where she got all the way to the bed and with holding one cane started to take her own clothes off to get in bed. As I picked her up to help her she said, "boy that was really fun." I thought my ears had deceived me. She then put her hands together, glanced upward and said thank you God, well and Przemek too. Priceless.

So I end my letter to you with apologies for the past month but with gratitude on always sticking by us. The 3 of you, Przemek, Slywia and Liz, have been our walking saviors. I wish you could be here in person to withness the fruits of your labors.

Gratefully yours,

Jenny and my wonderful sidekick, Josie.

No comments:

Post a Comment