Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Grocery Store


Look at the amazing standing with her own cart!! I would have videoed but I was too nervous to be that far from her the 1st time with a cart.



Celebrating with flowers from Roxanne

It is amazing were milestones actually occur. Today when we were out running our errands, in 65 degree weather, Josie wanted to bring her walker. When we went to grab lunch, she wanted to walk in with her walker. She hasn't used her walker in over 3 weeks because we have focused so hard on the canes. Przemek has been saying that she will get to a point where she prefers her canes over her walker. I thought he was crazy until today. She said to me after using her walker that she likes her canes better. They were easier to use and faster...wow!!

After lunch she said that she wanted to go to the grocery store. We didn't need anything at the store so I ask what she was after, finding this request odd from her. She finally admitted that she thought she could walk with the kids grocery carts and that she wanted to go do this. I drove to the store so fast we were lucky there weren't any police around. I went in first to Trader Joe's to get the cart ready. I put a few waters in it to weight it down so she had a better chance of success. I want her to feel like she can do anything. I got her out of the car and standing at the basket. She looked up and me and said, "Don't worry mom, I can do this" and off she went. I thought I was going to fall over. I held tight to her shirt in case she wobbled. She was strong and steady. She loved the freedom of collecting things in her cart. She followed 2 brothers and said she was in a cart parade. It took us about 45 minutes to go around the store, but she did it.

When we arrived at the check out she help Rozanne, the clerk, get the groceries out. We couldn't have met a nicer person to help us then Roxanne. Josie told her that that was the first time she has ever been able to push her own cart. She was so proud. The family that had seen us in the store were cheering for her and walked out with her. Roxanne even got her 2 bouquets of flowers saying that they were to celebrate her big accomplishment. She said one was for her sister and one for her. She actually grabbed a pink bouquet and a purple bouquet like she knew that they were pink and purple. (In the media, Josie has always been in pink and Teresa in purple. We have kept these colors for the girls). Magical how it all happens.

We returned home and I got the canes out for her to go into the house with. Josie said, "Hey mom give me a break" meaning from walking in the house. I responded, "I will when you get to the couch!" She laughed, grabbed her canes and walked perfectly into the other room and onto the couch.

I am having so much fun watching her as she is totally figuring this out. She should be steady enough by the end of next week that we can begin to work on the speed. We will try to do Trader Joe's in under 45 minutes! Cheers, Jenny and Josie

1 comment: