Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to school

Josie had her first day back to school. She was so excited to finally return and to be with her friends. The kids were so warm and welcoming and happy that she was back. She must feel really happy to have so many wonderful and supportive friends. Mrs. Watts is so encouraging and supportive. I am thrilled Josie has her this year. I was worried about leaving her first grade teacher, Mrs. Eggert, because she was so amazing. I am glad Mrs. Watts is the same. Josie had a good time playing jump rope at recess. She turns the rope while her friends jump. She feels really apart of it because she is one of the people in charge and she can sing all the jump rope songs with everyone. She had a good time and productive time with her resource teacher, Mrs. Eng. She is new this year and boy are we lucky she is there. I see her being able to really advance Josie's education. PE was a ball as usual with Mr. Chase. Josie should have adaptive PE but there isn't time in her schedule to fit it in so she does what the other kids do with some modification. Today it was Frisbee day. There were special Frisbees that have a spot that you can put your finger in to learn how to spin it on your finger. Josie loved it and with my help could spin it and keep it going. Then she and four of her friends all played catch in a circle. No one was very good at throwing or catching it so she fit right in. Only Lilly Dunbar could actually do it. From there she went straight to lunch and sat amongst her friends like always. Off to the sandbox for recess. We left after recess to go to therapy. We will be leaving Mondays and Tuesdays early to get to therapy. Just as we were leaving we ran into the music teacher, Mrs. Roberts who Josie adores. She informed us that music was right then for her class. We didn't know this and had to get to Liz. Well the day of emotion came to a head. She wanted to stay in the worst way. I tried to explain that we would talk to Liz and just go to therapy 15 minutes later starting next week. Let's put it this way...way to tired to even cope and the rest is history. Therapy was a disaster even though her sister was even there. We finished early because she refused to even stand. I should have been smarter then trying to jam all that into the first day of school. I was enough just to get her feet on the ground at school. Live and learn. I am so worried about losing any of the walking ground that I wasn't thinking clear enough. We will try to get it together tomorrow.

After baths, she pulled it together and did the best homework ever. I don't know where the concentration came from but I'll take it. We both needed it to be positive and successful tonight. I know I am asking more of this 8 year old than most kids her age have to endure right now. It is hard when our window is closing on the walking yet we can't let her get so behind in school. It is all important and hard to juggle. I see why God has babies learn to walk before really getting into instructional education. It is really difficult to do both. I am thankful that we even have the chance for both. Off to bed so I have the energy to do it all again tomorrow. Jenny and Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment