Friday, January 8, 2010

First week back at school and therapy


Reading to Grandma

In the sandbox with Brooke. Brooke's mom and I were good friends from 1st grade on. Fun to have our daughters in the same grade and friends, too.


"The Gang" or at least some of them!!



Mrs. Watts 2nd grade class

Wow, I am writing this with sheer exhaustion, but also with great satisfaction. Josie started school this week while still keeping up her intense therapy routine. I was apprehensive at first because the schedule that we laid out was very rigorous. She handled this week with so much enthusiasm, energy and happiness. I couldn't be more pleased with her ability to withstand all that she encountered this week.

She is actually enjoying school and especially her friends. The kids have been so incredibly welcoming and inclusive. She is lucky to have such great friends that support her and motivate her. During the first recess they all play jump rope. Josie is in charge of turning the rope. She turns, they jump and everyone sings the cute little songs together. I wish I could video this...adorable. I will post a picture at least. She is loving PE. She was able to participate in all the activities with my assistance. We did Frisbees, shuffle board, relay races (I need to get in better shape for those!), basketball passing drills and she rides her bike around the field while the other kids run it. She really feels apart of it and Mr. Chase is amazing at including her and making adaptions where needed. After lunch they are off to lunch and recess. Josie sits right at the table with all of her friends. When they are finished eating they can help Javier clean up and receive Cougar Coupon for their help. Josie and Audrey have been helping an have earned enough coupons to pick a prize next week. After lunch she is usually off to the sand box if not back to jump roping. When the bell rings they all hug each other and off they go to their classes. Such a sweet age.

She is enjoying Mrs. Watt's class. Mrs. Watts has a great rhythm to the day. She moves them a lot which helps they stay focused and enthused. As hard as it is to always move her or have her walk with her canes around the room it really is the best for her. If she sits to long her muscles get tight and soar so it is great how active they are. Highlights, or course, are library, computer, music and art days. She will hardly let me help her with her work. She wants to do it all by herself, yet she isn't able to do a lot of it yet. It is nice to see her want her independence and she doesn't want to be different. I hope they find her an aide soon so that she doesn't have to have mom there everyday. It really isn't health for her to have me always there. It has been beneficial for the start because I am able to decipher what the best plan is and the best way to keep her safe outside of the actual room. Also, the resource teacher has been wonderful and very accommodating.

Josie is in for a great 2nd grade year. As for the aide, they don't even have a possibility of a person. There is absolutely no one in the district that would be suitable so they may have to hire someone from outside. At that point I can recommend people to go for the interview. Unfortunately at this time I don't have anyone in mind. If anyone knows someone who is strong, has an education background and whose personality is happy, positive and outgoing, let me know. I know this is a tall order, but we have had this kind of person for the past 2 years with Tracy Neumeier so I know it is possible. I will post some pictures so that you can get a small glimpse of school this week.

On a therapy note, she did really well with the added schedule. Liz got her back on track after having 2 weeks off. I will post walking video for Przemek and Slywia's review. This video was taken on Thursday after a full day at school, 2 hours of therapy and it was 5 o'clock at night - not to mention it was the end of a big week. She did fairly well. I will put the first video on just because she talks to Przemek and Slywia in it bit the walking isn't the best in it. I hope all of you have had a great week. I feel self consumed to just talk about what we are doing. Love to hear from all of you about your lives. Love, Jenny and Josie

Vidoes for Przemek and Slywia's review. The first one is just cute because she talks to you. The walking on it isn't that impressive. The next one gives you a glimps of what she can do when completely worn out. Thanks you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment