Wednesday, September 16, 2009

There may be a new sheriff in town...

We are definitely on a wild adventure called life over here. We are looking at the possibility of bring a new sheriff into our lives. I was hoping he was tall, dark and handsome between 35 - 40 yr old male, but he happens to be short, stocky, and strong 1year 5 month old male Golden Retriever dog named Wyatt. Ok now that I have you all confused here is the situation. Ever since Josie was about 5 years old, we (family, therapist, her "team") have been trying to find ways for Josie to have mobility and independence through ways other then a wheelchair. (I refuse to do the chair unless it is our last resort for many reasons). When she was 5 I was ready to get a pony and strap her to it and after much realistic consideration, realized that was not the best solution. I kept exploring options for mobility for distance like at the mall, parks, Disneyland, etc. where more endurance would be needed. At that time I came across an article on mobility "service" dogs that assisted people with mobility and balance issues. I understand that these dogs act as a "treadmill" and can keep the people going where on there own might not have enough endurance. At 5 yrs old she was absolutely not ready for a dog. I thought we would be between 10 to 15 before she was capable enough with her walking to be able to use a dog. You do have to walk first. In talking to there therapist here about 3 weeks ago we all decided since it is a 12 - 18 month wait for a dog we should apply now. I am thrilled that at 8 they think she is ready to apply. I had a lengthy conversation with the company in Kansas 2 weeks ago Thursday. Anyhow, 6 days later I got a call that they may have a dog NOW for her...yikes. My first response was you told me I had 12 months minimum and what is wrong with the dog?? After I pulled myself together I have enjoyed looking at the situation rationally (or best of my rational ability). Here is the bottom line...Susan from Cares is coming with the dog, Wyatt (as in Earp), to Detroit next Wednesday night. On Thursday we will get to know the dog and have a care conference with the therapists. My parents are coming for a visit Friday so I will get there take and opinion on how we all think we should proceed. We will either take this dog and pick it up in about a month after it receives some more specific training or we will decide if it is better to wait 6 months or a year before we proceed. There are so many factors playing into this but most importantly that it won't undo what we have done here. I will expand on this later. Josie is being so mature about the situation. She knows that the actual dog will come but we may not take this one now but for sure one day she will have a walking dog.

I will update you on the happens with our sheriff, Wyatt, as they unfold. Good night Y'all. Jenny and Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment